Cannabidiol (CBD) isn’t just for humans — it’s also widely available for our furry friends. As it turns out, humans and pets both have an endocannabinoid system, believed to maintain homeostasis in the body. CBD is one of the compounds called cannabinoids which interact with the receptors in this system. As a result, pets and humans benefit from CBD in similar ways. Both humans and animals use CBD to help support joint vitality, maintain healthy skin, and generally restore balance.
Unlike humans, however, pets don’t get to enjoy delicacies such as infused chocolates. Still, a typical CBD oil, while safe for pets (as long as the carrier oil and all other ingredients is acceptable for a pet to eat), can be a messy endeavor for a doggy or kitty that simply won’t sit still. What sort of options for pet CBD products are out there?
What are CBD pet products?
People love their animals like family, so it’s no surprise that pet-specific lines are cropping up all over the U.S. To that end, CBD for pets is very similar to the products humans consume but only made with pet-friendly ingredients and available in flavors that animals may enjoy, such as bacon. Products may have lower concentrations of CBD, as a 25-pound dog simply needs less CBD than a 150-pound human.
How can CBD help pets?
Pet CBD products could offer animals the same benefits that are expected for humans. The most common usage of CBD for pets includes:
- Anxiety: Nervous pets may experience less anxiety with CBD.
- Joints: Support joint vitality, whether your pet experiences arthritis or other aches and pains related to old age.
- Skin: Regular CBD use can help an animal’s skin stay healthy and blemish-free.
Whether your animal is older and simply experiencing the aches that come with age or your pet is young and jumpy, CBD pet products can be a great addition to restore a healthy balance.
Just be sure to talk to your vet before introducing your pet to any new product, including CBD!
How can I make it easier to give my pet CBD?
CBD for pets often include tinctures – droppers much like the ones used for CBD oil for humans – and treats like dog biscuits. While these products are suitable, they do rely on the assumption that your pet is being cooperative. Many animals do not want to sit still for a tincture to be dropped into their mouth – this oil can simply spill out the sides of his or her mouth, wasting the product and making it difficult to actually get your pet to consume. Some may simply turn up their nose at a new kind of treat.
Spray top pet CBD oil products solve this problem. Spraying CBD on your pet’s existing food routine avoids the mess of oils, while dodging the challenges that could come with giving a picky animal a new treat. Core Roots CBD offers an organic pet CBD oil spray that comes in 2 oz. bottles, each of which contains 500mg CBD suspended in 60 mL of product. Core Roots CBD recommends 2 sprays for every 25 pounds, which lasts for approximately 150 servings. That will go for quite a while, depending on your pet’s weight.
What to look for in CBD for pets
Choosing CBD for pets should come down to overall quality and effectiveness, which you can identify by keeping the following criteria in mind:
- Mild taste: CBD pet products with a mild taste are often more acceptable to animals, who may turn their nose up at something that tastes too strong or unpleasant to them. Offering a product with a mild taste that could even be mixed in with food or treats is a great way to give your pet CBD without any fuss.
- No additives: The best CBD pet products will keep their list of ingredients short. Biscuit treats may use ingredients that aren’t great for your pet. If the treats have ingredients that you wouldn’t normally give a pet, there’s no reason why you should make an exception for those ingredients in a CBD product. (Core Roots CBD pet spray features just two ingredients – coconut oil and CBD!)
- Third-party lab tested: You shouldn’t take a brand at their word. The best CBD products have third-party lab testing results to back up their claims about their products. Make sure you can review these results; if they aren’t publicly posted on the brand’s website, you should be able to request them before buying.
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) certification: Certifications provide a guarantee that the product you’re administering to your pet is of the same quality that you’d consume yourself. Look for products which carry Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) certification, which means each batch of CBD product will be of the same quality standard with each production run. With the passage of the 2018 Farm Bill, you may even be able to find pet CBD products manufactured in an FDA-registered facility, supplying even further assurance that you are purchasing a quality product.
The CBD industry has exploded in recent years and there are countless brands in the space. Many offer great products, but you must be sure to do your homework first. With these criteria in mind, you can be sure you’re selecting the best possible CBD product for your four-legged friend.
Core Roots CBD offers safe, effective products for people and animals
Core Roots CBD products are designed with quality in mind. Not only are all Core Roots CBD products fully organic, they are also Good Manufacturing Practices certified and produced in a facility registered with, and thoroughly inspected by, the FDA. Every product is tested by a third-party lab and the results are published on the Core Roots CBD website for consumers to review before they buy. Core Roots CBD products are designed to have a very mild, natural taste, never with any additives or flavorings. Best of all, Core Roots CBD offers free shipping anywhere in the U.S. on every order.
Whether you’re looking for CBD for yourself or for your pet, Core Roots CBD has what you need. From tinctures to topicals, all Core Roots CBD products are designed to be safe, effective, and easy to use.